Jump to What You Want to See
Summer’s here! The sun is shining, the sky is blue, the kids are finished with school and it’s time for some real family fun time.
But before you run out the door for your summer of fun take a quick five minutes to read our summer safety tips for kids, and make sure your summer is a happy and safe one.
Summer Sun Safety Tips
To avoid the risk of sun burn, sun stroke or skin cancer by following these simple summer fun safety tips:
1. Slip on a long sleeved shirt. A loose fitting long sleeved top and bottoms will help to keep the sun off your skin.
Choose light cotton fabrics to help you and your children stay cool in the heat.
Consider investing in some UPF clothing especially if you’re going to be spending time at the pool or the beach.
2. Slap on a hat. A nice wide brimmed hat will help to keep the sun off your head, face and neck. If you prefer a baseball cat make sure you put sunscreen on your ears and neck.
3. Slop on the sunscreen. Sunscreen is a must and should be applied 30 minutes before you leave the house.
Use a minimum of SPF15, children and fair skinned adults should really use a minimum of SPF30 or higher and make sure the product you choose offers both UVA and UVB protection.
We love this No-Ad sport spray because it’s easy to apply, even on wriggly children, and doesn’t leave a sticky residue.
If you are going to be out for the day take the sunscreen with you and reapply it at least every two hours, and as you go in and out of the pool or the ocean.
4. Seek out the shade. Whether its under an umbrella or a large tree, the shade is your friend, especially when the sun is at it’s hottest between 11am and 3pm.
During those hours try and keep your children out of the sun and choose activities that take place indoors or in the shade.
[Tweet “Don’t forget to Slip, Slap, Slop to stay safe in the sun!”]
Summer Safety Tips for Kids
- Take plenty of water to make sure everyone stays dehydrated. These Camelbak water bottles are perfect for the summer because the built in insulation keeps the water cold, and with the Kyjen portable water bowl you can make sure the dog stays hydrated too!
- If you’re spending time at the park check over the playground equipment before you let your kids loose just to make sure nothing is damaged or dangerous.
- If your kids love to skateboard or ride their bikes make sure they wear helmets and knee pads in case then take a tumble.
- If you’re spending time by the pool or the ocean make sure an adult is on duty watching the children at all times.
- And if you have a pool at home now is the time to check your pool fence is in good order and consider investing in a pool alarm. You can also check out this free 5 page guide on pool safety
Summer Food Safety Tips
Nothing says summer like a BBQ right, because when the weather heats up there’s nothing more the man of the house likes than to fire up the grill and cook in the great outdoors.
But there are some things you need to keep in mind because cooking outdoors with a high heat is the perfect environment for food borne illnesses.
Don’t worry though, just follow these simple summer food safety tips and you can enjoy your grilled chicken without any fear of tummy trouble!
- First up be careful with the BBQ itself. Use proper firelighters to get it started and never think of adding gasoline or other flammable liquids to try and speed things up!
- Make sure the grill is always monitored by an adult if there are children around to avoid burns or other accidents.
- Prepare raw meat separately to other foods for the bbq, these chopping boards and knives are great for avoiding cross contamination between your raw meats and veggies.
- Make sure the meat is cooked all the way through before serving, just because it looks done on the outside does not mean it’s not still raw on the inside. Don’t forget that grill is hotter than your oven. Use a meat thermometer to make sure the meat is the right temperature.
- Make sure leftovers go straight into the fridge, you don’t want them to go to waste when there are so many leftover BBQ chicken recipes for you to try!
- Have some antibacterial wipes or gel by the grill so you don’t have to keep going back inside to wash your hands.
You have a summer of family fun ahead of you so keep these summer safety tips in the back of your mind because no one wants to spend their summer in an emergency room!