When it’s wet and windy outside there’s nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of soup to warm you up from the inside.
I’ve always bought soup from the store because it just seemed like to much effort to make from scratch. That is until I learned about soups you make in the crock pot!
I’ve rounded up 12 healthy crock pot soups that require hardly any preparation to put to the test, and I’m sharing them here in case you want to add them to your meal plans too.
Healthy Crock Pot Soups
- Crock Pot French Onion Soup – French onion soup is perfect for dinner on a cold and wet day. This crock pot recipe doesn’t need much preparation, but you do need to add the broth after the first six hours so you’ll need to make it on a day you’ll be home at the right time.
- Easy Thai Coconut Soup with Lemongrass – If you always order the coconut soup when you eat in a Thai restaurant this recipe is for you. It doesn’t need a lot of preparation time and it cooks in as little as two to three hours so it’s perfect for lunch.
- Creamy Italian Chicken Tomato Soup – I love tomato soup but don’t eat it very often as it’s usually made with milk or cream, but this recipe uses coconut milk! I like the idea of adding chicken, and as it cooks in about four to six hours it’s great for lunch or dinner.
- Crock pot Tomato Basil Parmesan Soup Recipe – If you struggle to get your kiddos to eat their veggies this is the crock pot soup recipe for you. It has celery, carrots and onions but they would never know they’re there! It takes five to seven hours in the crock pot and then you’ll need to prepare a roux so this is definitely a recipe for dinner.
- Slow Cooker Recipe for Spicy Ground Beef and Bean Soup with Cabbage and Spinach – If you like your recipes with detailed instructions and lots of pictures then this is the one for you. This beef and bean stew looks very filling so will be perfect for dinner. You’ll need to do some prep the night before if you want this to cook in the crock pot while you’re out for the day.
- Chicken Enchilada Soup – This crock pot soup is stuffed full of veggies, and even has some jalapeno peppers thrown in so it’s perfect for warming tummies on a chilly winter’s evening.
- Slow Cooker Lentil Soup with Bacon Recipe – Did someone say bacon? This hearty soup requires hardly any prep and can cook on low for eight hours or high for four so it’s the perfect choice for lunch or dinner.
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato, Chicken, and Quinoa Soup – I bought some quinoa the other day and had no idea I could use it in a crock pot soup. This recipe is super easy to prepare and is the perfect antidote when anyone in your family has a stinking cold!
- Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup Recipe – When were were over in Florida last year we were eating out at Bob Evans and my hubby ordered a cheddar baked potato. He was expecting a baked potato topped with cheese so his face was a picture when the waitress set a bowl of soup down in front of him! That’s why this recipe caught my eye, and it’s so simple to make too, just six ingredients and hardly any prep.
- Crock pot Chicken and Noodle Soup – Chicken and noodle soup is perfect when you have a cold and just want something warm and comforting to eat. I love Beth’s story of how her grandma used to make chicken and noodles with her when she was younger. If you don’t have your own family recipe this is just the one for you!
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup with Cauliflower – If you love to order Broccoli Cheese Soup when you eat out but sometimes find it a little too gloopy or salty you won’t want to miss this recipe which has been kid approved.
- Gnocchi, Sausage and Spinach Soup – I always eat gnocchi like it’s pasta and wonder why I feel so full and uncomfortable after, and now I know why! Apparently gnocchi shouldn’t be consumed like pasta, but is much tastier (and less discomforting) if you add it to a soup instead. And I was so excited to learn this that I didn’t even notice that there is no crock pot involved… but heck it takes less than 30 minutes to make from scratch so I’m keeping it here anyway!
What is the Best Crock Pot to Buy?
Are you inspired by all of these crock pot soups but don’t have anything to make them in? When I was looking for the best crock pot to buy all roads seemed to lead to the Hamilton Beach brand. The 33969A Set ‘n Forget is a very popular choice, with more than 600 people rating it 5 stars on Amazon.com!
It had a 6-quart crock which is ample size for a 6lb chicken, but more importantly it means for a family of four (two adults, two kiddos) you can make enough for dinner and leftovers for later in the week.
It has a really clever probe in it too which checks the temperature and when the food is cooked it switches automatically to the warming mode, that’s why they call it set and forget I suppose!
It’s easy to clean too, which is important, because there is no point saving time making dinner if you then have to spend hours cleaning your crock pot right?
You can read more about the crock pot here.
If you loved these crock pot soup recipes don’t miss our other kid friendly recipes including our collection of baked chicken breast recipes or chicken enchilada recipes for more great ways to make healthy meals the whole family will enjoy together.
~Clare, currently pinning to Kid Friendly Recipes