Whether you’re a working mom, you need to get the kids off to school or you just need to get out of the house super early some days you might struggle to find time for breakfast. Since it is the most important meal of the day and you really don’t want to be skipping it I’ve rounded up 12 easy smoothie recipes that make great breakfast ideas for kids – and moms too!
Smoothies are perfect for breakfast because they are packed full of fruit goodness, vitamins and calcium, and if your kids are dairy free there are still plenty of recipes to choose from. And making these healthy kid friendly recipes at home is so much cheaper than buying them from the store.
How to make a fruit smoothie
- Start by removing all of the seeds and stems from your fruit and then dice them up so that they go through the blender a bit easier.
- If the fruits you want to use are in season then go ahead and buy them fresh, if not you can use frozen fruit to make smoothies too.
- Add the liquid into the blender first, and then add about half of your fruit and other ingredients. Whizz it up, and then add the rest of the ingredients a bit at a time. If you want to add ice cubes then add them in at the very end. Oh and don’t forget to replace the lid each time or you’ll end up wearing breakfast!
- If you want to make a batch of smoothies so you can eat them for breakfast then you can store them in the fridge in an airtight container and they’ll last for one or two days, or pop them in the freezer in a silicone popsicle mold for a fun way to eat a frozen smoothie.
We’ve rounded up some great easy smoothie recipes which make perfect breakfast ideas for kids, especially if you need to get out of the house fast and don’t have time to sit down and eat a full breakfast.
Try a few of them out, see what you like and what you don’t like, and then if you’re feeling brave start switching up the ingredients and see if you can invent your own smoothie recipes!
Healthy fruit smoothie recipes
Here are some healthy fruit smoothie recipes that you can whip up in minutes. They’re great breakfast ideas for kids because they can be eaten on the run, but they’re packed full of goodness to give them a great start to their day.
Banana smoothie recipes
My children go nuts for bananas so I was keen to see if I could find some banana smoothie recipes to start their day. Here’s what I found:
1. Almond Banana Smoothie Recipe with Shaved Coconut Topping – if you’re looking for dairy free breakfast ideas for kids then this almond banana smoothie is the perfect choice, because it’s made with Silk Almond Coconut blend instead of the usual milk or yoghurt.
2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie – here’s another dairy free smoothie recipe which any child will go nuts for, because as well as the bananas it also has chocolate peanut butter in it! I didn’t even know you could buy powdered chocolate peanut butter!
3. Coconut Pineapple Banana Smoothie – a lovely thick smoothie that’s just perfect for a tropical start to the day.
Smoothie recipes with yoghurt
Yoghurt makes the perfect base for a smoothie and if you freeze it it’s a great treat for the kids on a hot summer’s day. Here are some of the best smoothie recipes with yoghurt we could find on the web.
1. Peach Frozen Yoghurt Smoothie – this smoothie has just four ingredients and if you go ahead and prep the peaches it’s such an easy smoothie recipe that the kids can make it themselves.
2. Fruit and Yoghurt Smoothie – this yummy smoothie uses greek yoghurt, bananas, strawberries and blueberries to make sure your kids get a generous helping of fruit.
3. Blueberry Avocado Greek Yoghurt Smoothie – this smoothie is one of the most perfect breakfast ideas for kids who turn their noses up at fruit, especially if their favourite colour is blue!
Strawberry smoothie recipes
If your kids prefer strawberries then don’t worry because we’ve scoured the web to find some of the best strawberry smoothie recipes for them to enjoy at breakfast time.
1. Easy Strawberry Smoothie Recipe – this smoothie is packed full of fresh fruit, calcium, vitamins, protein and fibre, making it one of the healthier breakfast ideas for kids.
2. Strawberry Bananas N’ Creme Fruit Smoothie – the perfect choice for the toddlers who love strawberries and bananas this easy smoothie recipe is dairy free too.
3. Tropical Smoothie Recipe – for a touch of the tropics this easy smoothie recipe uses strawberries, lime juice and frozen pineapple chunks.
Breakfast smoothie recipes
You could make any of the easy smoothie recipes we’ve looked at so far for breakfast, lunch or for a snack, but let’s just round up some breakfast smoothie recipes to round things off.
1. The Pink Breakfast Smoothie – this one is perfect for those mornings when you don’t have time to stay home and eat breakfast, just throw your usual breakfast ingredients in the blender and drink it in the car!
2. Funky Monkey – Peanut Butter Jelly Smoothie – if peanut butter and jelly sandwiches top your kids breakfast request list then they will love this smoothie which is packed full of protein.
3. Kid Friendly Green Smoothie – if you struggle to get your kiddos to eat their greens then this is a great option for you, because while the smoothie itself is pink it’s actually packed full of kale!
Smoothie making equipment
You can make smoothies using the blender from your food processor but it needs a pretty powerful motor to get through all of that fruit and ice cubes so you might be better off investing in a smoothie maker if you want to make these easy smoothie recipes for breakfast regularly. Drinking bottles, smoothie friendly straws and popsicle molds make it easier to drink (or eat) your smoothies on the move.
And there you have it, 12 easy smoothie recipes that make great breakfast recipes for kids (and moms too) to get the day off to a great start.
~Clare, currently pinning to Breakfast Recipe Ideas
p.s. This post is linked up to some of these fabulous linky parties!
Oh and would you do us a favour and pin this post or share this with your friends on Facebook so that other moms can see it.