Does the thought of showing your feet to the world make you cringe? We’ve had our tootsies tucked away in socks and boots all winter, but now the weather is getting warmer and it will soon be time to paint those toe nails and show off our feet in our favourite pair of sandals.
But what if you don’t think your feet are ready to make an appearance?
Paraffin treatments are a great way to help keep your feet soft and supple, so they look fabulous in a pair of sandals. It’s a treatment often used in luxury spas, but as busy moms we don’t all have the time or the money to take advantage of such luxuries right?
Well the good news is that today we’re sharing a DIY Paraffin Spa you can use at home, for a fraction of the cost!
To find out how to get fabulous sandal friendly feet while enjoying your favourite TV show keep reading…
DIY paraffin spa
What you need:
- 4oz block of paraffin wax
- 1 ounce of Olive Oil
- 5-10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil
- Greased casserole dish per treatment
- 3-5 drops of Coconut Oil (can use Olive Oil instead)
- Roll of plastic wrap (for feet)
- 2 plastic sandwich bags (for hands)
- Some warm hand towels
- A friend or partner to help you with the treatment
How to prepare the treatment:
- Melt your paraffin wax along with the ounce of olive oil in a double boiler.
- Once it is melted, pour the wax into a bowl and let it stand for a few minutes until it is still liquid but cool enough for you to add the lavender essential oil. You don’t want to add the oil while the wax is too hot as heat can destroy the therapeutic properties of the oil.
- Now leave the wax to stand until a film or “skin” has formed on the top.
- Once this film has formed, and the mixture is cooled, it should be ready to use.
The paraffin spa treatment
- Wash your feet thoroughly before you start; you want your skin to absorb the wax treatment and lavender oil.
- Take the coconut oil and rub it over your feet. Make sure that they are completely coated. If you do not have coconut oil, olive oil is a perfect stand-in.
- Begin by submerging one foot into the wax, leave it there for about five seconds, and then remove it and submerge the other foot.
- Do this five or six times for each foot so that the wax builds up in layers.
- Now you need to ask your friend or partner to wrap your feet in the plastic wrap, and then in a warm hand towel.
- Now sit back and enjoy an episode of your favourite TV show because the wax needs about half an hour to do it’s thing!
- When the time is up you can peel the wax off your feet. It should break into large sections and come off quite easily.
- Finally give your feet a gentle massage for a real spa-like experience!
If you want to make your hands look fabulous you can follow the same directions, but just use sandwich bags instead of plastic wrap.
Enjoy your spa evening!