There’s just something so festive about hanging up a stocking filled with treats and small gifts for a child to open on Christmas morning. And thanks to one of these Christmas stocking craft kits you can make a keepsake stocking that will be treasured for meany years to come.
Gorgeous Christmas Stocking Craft Kits
Today we’re sharing our favourite Christmas stocking craft kits with you but before we do that you need to be aware that these are not quick and easy projects.
The designs are detailed and you will need to take your time over them. So if it’s already December you’re going to need to cheat and buy a stocking to use this year. Click that link to see some gorgeous designs that your family will love.
Then keep reading to choose a Christmas stocking craft kit you can work on for next Christmas.
Christmas Stocking Needlepoint Kits
If you’re looking for Christmas Stocking needlepoint kits you’re looking for a Dimensions Needlecrafts kit and there are lots to choose from!
Needlepoint Christmas stockings are a labour of love, but when you’ve finished you will have a keepsake that will be put to good use for many years to come. They really are just beautiful.
Here are some things to bear in mind before you choose your kit.
- If you are an experienced cross stitcher you might be able to finish a stocking in a few weeks. If you are a beginner it could take you many months, maybe even up to a year. If you have a vision in your mind of using one of these beautiful stockings for your baby’s first Christmas gifts you might want to start stitching as soon as you find out you are pregnant!
- All the thread you need is included in the kit but you need to be “wise” with your stitches or you might find yourself running out towards the end. Make sure the “bad” side of your stocking looks like this: ””’ rather than this: \\\\\ and you should find your thread lasts all the way to the end.
- The kit includes a piece of felt to use for the back of the stocking, but it doesn’t really live up to the gorgeous standards of your completed front side. Think about lining your stocking and using a piece of velvet for the back instead.
Now let’s take a look at two of our favourite kits and why we love them.
Dimensions Needlecrafts Counted Cross Stitch, Candy Cane Santa Stocking Kit
When you’re creating a keepsake that will be used by your child for many many years it makes a lot of sense to choose a very traditional looking design that will stand the test of time: like this one.
That Santa just looks so jolly, and you can see the snow falling as he hangs candy canes on a gorgeous Christmas tree! There is space across the “cuff” to embroider your child’s name too.
The kit has everything you need including the Aida fabric, needles, floss and a thread sorter.
It measures 16 inches from hanger to toe, and about 13.5 inches from heel to hanger.
Dimensions Needlecrafts Needlepoint, Happy Snowman Stocking Kit
If you would prefer a snowman design this one is delightful. We love his colourful jacket and matching scarf and just look at those tree shaped buttons!
Take note that this particular kit uses embroidery floss not wool, so if you don’t like to stitch with thread you should pass on this one and choose another kit. Alternatively if you love the design enough you could buy the wool to use instead.
Bucilla Christmas Stocking Felt Kits
Bucilla are the big name in Christmas stocking felt kits and we’ve picked out three of our favourites to share with you today. And trust me, we had a tough job narrowing it down to just three!
There are a few of things we want to tell you before we talk about the actual stocking kits though:
- These are not just “pretty to look at” stockings, you can actually use them and fill them with gifts. Just be careful not to overfill them with heavy things or your stitches might split.
- The stocking designs are gorgeous and extremely intricate, which means they can take a very long time to sew together. An experienced sewer could take around 40 hours to create a stocking from this kit. If you are a beginner you should really start working on your kit in August or September time. This is not a project that can be completed in the week before Christmas!
Don’t let this put you off though. The kits contain good quality materials so you can expect the stockings to last a very long time; people are still putting gifts in their stockings some 40 years after they were sewn together.
They might take a substantial amount of time but you really are creating a family heirloom!
Bucilla The Finishing Touch Christmas Stocking Felt Appliqué Kit
Let’s start with The Finishing Touch, we love this one because it has space for you to stitch the recipient’s name making it a one of a kind personalised stocking.
It’s about 12 inches tall by 9 inches wide (and 2 inches deep) so measures 18 inches from top left to the toe, which is plenty big enough to fill with treats and small gifts.
The design is just gorgeous with Santa helping the elf help the penguin to add the finishing touch to that Christmas tree!
If you’ve never made a felt appliqué stocking before this might not be the best one to start with because it’s quite tricky to put together and the instructions can be a little vague in places. But if you’re a seasoned appliquér you should really enjoy putting this one together.
Bucilla Santa’s List Christmas Stocking Felt Appliqué Kit
The next felt appliqué kit we want to share with you is the Santa’s List stocking which can also be personalised with the recipient’s name. This one is better if the intended child has a name longer than five letters because there is more room to sew the name.
Everything you need is included in the kit, apart from the stuffing (which you can get here if you don’t already have some).
We love the design with Santa checking his list and that super cute teddy peeking out of his sack!
Bucilla Sugar Plum Fairy Christmas Stocking Felt Appliqué Kit
While the first two kits we shared could be gifted to a boy or a girl, this last one is most definitely in girl territory. Would you just look at that gorgeous Sugar Plum Fairy!
Again you can personalise the stocking by sewing the child’s name onto the cupcake which has space for around five letters.
This kit includes everything you need to make the stocking including the pre-stamped felt, embroidery floss, beads, sequins and a needle.
Christmas Stocking Knitting Kits
If you’re looking for Christmas stocking knitting kits you can’t go wrong with a Googleheim kit from Elegant Heirlooms.
Each kit has a large full colour picture of the finished stocking so you know what you’re working towards as well as a design graph and special technique sheets.
All the yarn you need is included in the kit and is 100% wool. Speciality yarns, beads, sequins and bells will also be included in your kit if they are needed for the design.
They are aimed at intermediate level knitters, but the technique sheets are really good so you should be able to handle this even if you’re a beginner.
Here are our favourite designs but you can see the whole range by clicking here.
And there you have it. Gorgeous Christmas stocking craft kits for you to create keepsakes your children will treasure for years to come.